These Rhubarb Cream Scones are tender, sweet and delicious, with bites of tangy rhubarb. A perfect treat to make with your springtime rhubarb.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of cold butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the butter is pea sized. I actually like to use my hands to do this part.
- Stir in the cream until the dough is moistened, but be careful not to over mix it or the scones will be tough.
- Then gently mix the chopped rhubarb into the scone dough using your hands.
- Lay a sheet of wax or parchment paper onto your counter.
- Press the dough into a ball and transfer it on to the parchment paper and press it down into a rectangular disk. Then using a rolling pin, roll and flatten the dough to a 1 inch thickness.
- Using a knife cut the dough into squares or triangles, or use a cookie cutter to make circle shaped scones.
- Place the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the scones with a bit of cream and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes. The scones are done when the bottom edges are slightly brown.
- When they are done baking, transfer the scones to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm (or cold) with a pat of butter!