Made with caramelized onions, garlic, rosemary and balsamic vinegar, this Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Onion Jam SO delicious. It’s sweet, tart and a perfect accompaniment to cheese, bread, roasted meats and more.
- 4 large sweet onions (halved and cut thinly)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 – 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 – 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 fresh rosemary stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 roasted garlic cloves (more if you wish!)
- First roast your garlic (you need an hour to roast the garlic). Refer to my previous post on Roasting Garlic, to find out how to do this.
- Cut your onions in half, then slice them about 1/4 inch wide.
- Heat up the oil in a stock pot, then add the onions. Mix well, until the onions are covered with the oil. Cook on medium heat until the onions are softened. About 20 minutes.
- Then add the rosemary stems and bay leaves. Mix. Cook for about 20 more minutes, until the rosemary has wilted.
- Once the rosemary is wilted, remove it and the bay leaves. You will likely have to remove stray rosemary leaves.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add the roasted garlic by scooping out the cloves, and mash them into the onion mixture.
- Cook until the liquid is all gone, but be very careful not to burn it! Stir often!!
- When the onions are cooked, the liquid is gone, and the mixture is sticky it’s all done!
- Put into sterilized jars and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.