This Saskatoon Berry Pie tastes like summer! Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling:
- 4 cups Saskatoon berries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
Making the Saskatoon Berry Filling:
- In a saucepan, mix together the berries, water and lemon juice, and simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and flour.
- Then add the sugar/flour mix to the berries and combine.
- Simmer until the mixture slightly thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Making the Pie Crust:
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: one for the bottom crust and one for the top.
Baking the pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out one ball of the pie crust for the bottom of your pie. Then place it into your pie plate. Gently press down.
- Add the Saskatoon berry filling.
- Dot the filling with small pieces of the butter (about 1 – 2 tsp total).
- For the pie crust top, roll out the other ball of dough and place it over the top of your pie. Press together the edges of the crust. Then trim off the extra dough.
- Using a knife make air vents by cutting slits in the crust.
- If you want to make a fancy crust, use a small cookie cutter and create shapes for the crust topping. Randomly place them on the pie filling. (Refer to the pictures above)
- Brush the crust lightly with milk, then generously sprinkle the crust with a cinnamon and sugar mix.
- In your preheated 425 degree oven, bake your pie for 20 minutes.
- Then after this time slip a cookie sheet onto the rack below your pie, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 35-40 minutes more. Bake until the crust is golden brown and your filling is bubbling in the vents.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!
Tip: If the edge of the crust starts to turn brown too quickly, use pieces of tinfoil to cover the edges while the pie continues to bake. Just make sure only to cover the edge.