- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/4 cups rice (use any kind you like – we use brown rice)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1/2 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute until the rice starts to brown lightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, and salt. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid – about 15 minutes.
- Then at this time, add the kidney beans, red pepper and tomatoes, and cook for about 5 more minutes, until the rice is tender.