On May Long Weekend we went to stay at my parent’s house on the lake. We were hoping for a warm and fun weekend, and we were not disappointed! For the first time in recent memory, we did not have a snowfall on May Long! Whew. Instead, we were treated to spectacular warm weather and fabulous food! What a great time!
My mom, as usual, fed us well! The highlight for me, was this Maple Vinaigrette Salad. So so good. A flavour explosion in my mouth! Really.
Serve this dressing over a simple green salad, and toss in fresh chunks of mango, feta cheese and pecans. Such a good salad. This recipe makes a big batch of dressing, so you can keep it in your fridge to enjoy, for up to two weeks.
Maple Vinaigrette: (a recipe from my Mom)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (the real stuff!)
- 1 tbsp water (add more if you feel it needs it)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- Romaine lettuce (or Green Leaf or Butter Lettuce) torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 or 2 mangoes (cut up into bite-sized chunks)
- Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 – 1/2 red onion (sliced thin)
- 1 cup pecans
- Blend together the vinegar, oil, sugar, syrup, water, mustard and salt.
- Toss with lettuce, mango, onion, cheese and pecans.
Save the dressing in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
If you would like more salad recipe ideas, you can find some here!