When we go out to eat, one of our favourite things to order is the sweet chili chicken. Sooooo good. But one of the reasons it’s so yummy is because it’s dipped in batter first and deep fried. Yum. But not so healthy.
This version is better for you and almost as delicious! (nothing beats deep fried!) Not to mention, this dish is quick to make too! You can have this dinner on your table in under 1 hour.
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless & skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 onion, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the oil, then add the chicken, and sprinkle it with the salt. Cook the chicken until it starts to brown, and the juices are running clear.
- At this time if there is a lot of moisture in the pan, you can drain most of it off.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the onion and bell peppers, cooking for about 3 minutes. You don’t want to overcook the veggies so I would cook them maximum 3 minutes. Also, don’t let the veggies stick to the pan, so if you need to, add 1 tbsp of water at a time.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sweet chili sauce and the vinegar. Then add it to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for a few more minutes – just until the sauce is reduced and the veggies are tender but crisp.
- When you are ready to serve, sprinkle on the sliced green onion.
- Serve with steamed brown rice and some chop sticks!
- If you wish, you can use 4 chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs.
- If you want to add extra nutrition, you can also add more veggies, like grated carrot.
- And if you like extra heat, add 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely. Just add it when it’s time to add the onion.
- Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine
Just like take out but better for you!
Have a delicious day!