Summers are made for picnics! Here are 7 tips and all the picnic essentials you’ll need for an easy summer picnic!
Last weekend we packed up an easy lunch and headed out to the countryside for a family picnic. Summers are made for picnics, so we try to have as many as we can when the weather is nice. They’re such a nice way to spend the day! Everything tastes better outdoors don’t you think?
The great thing about picnics is you can make them as simple or fancy as you like. Most of the time we just grab a few sandwiches and snacks and head out the door, but this weekend I felt like making things a little more fancy! I figured a picnic was the perfect excuse to use my pretty new melamine Pottery Barn Kids dishes! They look like fancy earthenware, but they’re durable and shatterproof, which makes them perfect for picnicking!
So I got busy and gathered some simple ingredients for lunch. Really, this is a simple picnic. Nothing fancy here except maybe the dishes, but even then these are great for casual eating. But the food? It’s all easy to pull together in just a manner of minutes. It just goes to show you that things may look complicated, but if you look a little closer you can see that they’re not. 🙂
For picnics, sandwiches are the perfect lunchtime meal. They transport easily, and you can make any variety to suit everyones tastebuds! We especially love classic egg salad sandwiches and ham & cheese sandwiches. I like to wrap them up in parchment paper for individual servings. Pretty and practical!
Pasta salads are also great for picnicking! Especially ones that aren’t dairy based, because they travel well and don’t spoil easily. This classic Italian pasta salad is a family favourite. Just toss cooked noodles, bite sized vegetables and chunks of cheese in some Italian dressing and enjoy! P.S. How pretty are these bowls?!
Don’t forget to pack along potato chips and pickles to go with your sandwiches. No picnic is complete without chips!!
Make sure to bring fresh fruit! Summer fruit and berries are the perfect dessert!
I like to make sure we have lots to drink while we’re picnicking! Just fill up a dispenser with your favourite drink (we love pink lemonade) and everyone can help themselves.
We had the nicest time. These are what summer memories are made of! Here are some ideas for planning your next picnic…remember, just keep it simple!
Tips for easy picnicking:
- Keep the food simple. You don’t need to make everything from scratch – buy what you can!
- Finger foods are the easiest: sandwiches, chips, pickles, fruit & veggie trays, cheese strings
- Plan ahead. Write out a simple menu, scope out places to picnic ahead of time
- Prep as much of your food as you can at home. Picnics are easiest when all you have to do is open the cooler and eat!
- I like to pack all of my picnic supplies like dishes, blankets etc. in a clothes basket, because it’s so easy to transport to your picnic site.
- If you picnic a lot, keep a basket stocked with all the essentials, so you can just basically grab it and go.
- Make sure to use a cooler with ice packs to prevent food spoilage.
- Durable dishes: plates, bowls, utensils, cups, big bowls for chips, fruit and salads
- Cutting boards, knives
- Plastic containers for leftovers
- Take lots of water
- Table cloth
- Extra blankets in case it gets cold, or you need extra seating.
- Napkins and wet wipes for clean up.
- Grocery store garbage bags.
- A cooler with a couple of ice packs to prevent food spoilage.
- Mosquito spray
- Suntan lotion
- First aid kit