Make these Turkey Lentil Tacos in less than 1 hour! A delicious and healthy meal for busy weeknights!
– – – – –
While I’m not wishing our summer away, once August arrives my mind does turn towards the fall, with thoughts of back to school. Mostly with regards to meal planning. I like this shift in thinking and actually welcome it with open arms…fall meals are my favourite!
Making the transition from relaxed days, later bedtimes, sleeping in and weekend fun, to schedules, routines and healthy habits can be hard. I also know that meal planning for busy weeknights can also be a challenge for families, so that’s why I like to share simple, delicious and healthy meal ideas with you. Why not start now, so we can hit September head on, and ready!
These Turkey Lentil Tacos are a perfect dinner for busy weeknights. They’re delicious, healthy and ready in 45 minutes.
Lentils are a perfect protein-packed staple that you can add to many breakfast, lunch or dinner dishes. They are a nutritional powerhouse, high in protein and fibre, and are a great source of minerals such as potassium, iron, and folate. And they’re delicious…add them to soups, stews, casseroles, salads, and tacos!
Taco nights are always a favourite in our house, and probably the most asked for dinner by my kids. To try something new, I made Turkey Lentil Tacos. As an alternative to hamburger, I paired lentils with ground turkey, making this a doubly nutritious, lean, protein packed meal!
I cooked the turkey/lentil filling with a batch of homemade taco seasoning, and the end result is a flavourful base for taco night! Nutritious and delicious…can’t beat that. And topped off with all of your favourite taco toppings, this taco night is complete!
Lay out your taco night in a buffet style and let everyone make their tacos to their tastebuds. Set out cheese, salsa, mango, purple cabbage, lettuce, green onion, peppers, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, soft flour tortillas, and your turkey lentil filling. Delicious.
All ready to load up!
Your family will really enjoy these…my kids went back for seconds!
Turkey Lentil Tacos
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cooked red split lentils
- shredded cheese
- shredded lettuce
- shredded purple cabbage
- chopped mango
- chopped red pepper
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- sliced green onions
- sour cream
- soft flour tortillas
Cooking the Lentils:
In a saucepan add 1/2 cup dried, red split lentils, and cover with about 2 inches of water.
Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Drain and set aside.
Cooking the Turkey:
In a skillet add the ground turkey and chopped onions.
Stir and cook until the turkey is no longer pink, and the onions are soft.
Add the spices: chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar and salt. Mix well.
Stir in the cooked lentils.
If the mixture seems to dry, mix in about 2 tbsp of water.
Putting the tacos together:
Lay all the taco toppings out in a buffet style on your table, and let everyone make their own delicious tacos!
5 Tips to Make Back-To-School Easy with Canadian Turkey and Lentils:
- Batch It! Turkey and lentils are the perfect choice for batch cooking. Cook a little extra turkey to provide planned leftovers, so you can cook once and eat twice! And lentils can be cooked in large batches and refrigerated or frozen in pre-set amounts, so that they’re ready to thaw and use for your next recipe.
- Get Healthy! Both lentils and turkey are a great source of protein and important minerals, and lentils are a great source of fibre. Combine the two, and you’ll power up your plate!
- Keep It Simple! Lentils are quick and easy to cook, and they don’t require pre-soaking. Both turkey and lentils can be cooked ahead of time and freeze well, so they’re ready when you are!
- Versatility Plus! Turkey adapts to all of your favourite flavour profiles and spice combinations, and with so many cuts to choose from you can find choices that please the whole family. With lentils, the options are endless since they can be used in countless different recipes, including salads, smoothies and even desserts! Turkey and lentils are delicious at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and everything in between. Both can be enjoyed hot or cold, and taste great the next day, too!
- Boost It! Add lentils and turkey to your favourite dishes for an instant protein boost! Salads, soups, pasta sauces and casseroles all benefit from the added nutrients lentils and turkey contribute.
Try More Turkey Recipes:
- Coconut Lime Grilled Turkey Noodle Bowl
- Asparagus and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Turkey Cutlet Recipe
- Lemon Rosemary Roasted Turkey
- Visit the Canadian Turkey website for More Turkey Recipes
- Brown Sugar Rubbed BBQ Turkey Breast
Giveaway Time! Win a $75 Prepaid Visa Gift Card
Canadian Turkey and Lentils.org want to give you a $75 Prepaid Visa Gift Card to help out with Back to School! Enter below to win!
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Canadian Turkey and Lentils.org. This recipe, all pictures and words are my own. I only partner with brands and products that I use in my own home.