Oh how I love these tasty little latkes! They are a great side dish with prime rib or steak…add a little dollop of sour cream…heaven!
Worth the effort. Healthy. Delish! My kind of food!
- 1 lb sweet potato or yam, peeled & grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp curry (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine the grated sweet potato, grated onion, and lemon juice. Put the mixture into a towel and squeeze out all the moisture.
- Then put it all into a bowl and add the eggs, green onions, flour and spices. Combine.
There are 2 ways you can cook these:
- You can cook them in a frying pan, using 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying OR
- We like to use a pancake griddle, and lightly spray it with Pam. Uses a fraction of the oil, and works just as well!
Now it’s time to cook them:
- Just scoop large spoonfuls of mix, and flatten them with a spatula.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- If you want to make the whole batch up at the same time, put the cooked latkes in a 300 degree oven until dinner time!
Don’t make the latkes too big, or they won’t cook properly.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!