Make these Whipped Mashed Potatoes with Black Truffle Cheese as a simple and elegant side dish!
It’s Cheese of the Month time! I really love this time of month. I mean who couldn’t love discovering and sharing a delicious Canadian cheese?! Since I began my partnership with the Dairy Farmers of Canada, I’ve had the chance to feature a wide variety of delicious, award winning Canadian cheeses. I’ve been amazed at just how many amazing cheeses we have available to us, made right here at home in Canada.
This month’s Canadian Cheese of the month is a Black Truffle Monterey Jack cheese by Bothwell Cheese, from New Bothwell Manitoba. Bothwell Cheese prides themselves on using 100% Canadian milk for all of their cheese products.
This Bothwell Black Truffle Monterey Jack Cheese is made with Italian black summer truffles which are blended throughout their creamy and rich Monterey Jack cheese. The flavours are complex, earthy and smooth.
I thought the distinct flavour of truffle would complement a bowl of creamy mashed potatoes in a big way. Adding the truffle cheese to mashed potatoes is a great way to turn an everyday side dish into an elegant dish you can serve during the holiday season, or at an elegant get together with friends.
The key to knocking these potatoes out of the park, is to whip them, and make them as smooth and creamy as possible. Get out your mixer and whip these potatoes! Then stir in a generous amount of freshly grated truffle cheese, and the end result is a bowl of creamy mashed potatoes, full of rich truffle flavour. They’re a perfect dish to serve with a prime rib roast, and a glass of Italian Sangiovese. Yum.
So if you’re looking to kick your mashed potatoes up a notch, this is how you do it! Enjoy!
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
- 1 cup grated Bothwell Cheese’s Black Truffle Cheese
- chopped green onions as garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the peeled and chopped potatoes into a large pan filled with enough salted cold water to just cover the potatoes. Boil until tender.
- When the potatoes are done boiling, drain them and transfer to a mixer.
- Add the butter and cream, and whip the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the grated black truffle cheese until melted and smooth.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
About Bothwell Black Truffle Monterey Jack Cheese:
- Type: A Monterey Jack cheese with pieces of Italian Black Summer Truffles blended throughout.
- Tasting Notes: Earthy, complex flavour with a rich, sweet, smooth finish.
- Location: New Bothwell, Manitoba
- Pairing: Delicious in a fondue or salad. Best enjoyed with an Italian Sangiovese or Moscato or lager.
More Delicious Canadian Cheese Recipes:
- Tipsy Cheese and Cherry Crostinis
- Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam
- Baked Canadian Camembert with Rhubarb Compote
- Dessert Cheese Plate
- Zucchini Cheddar Biscuits
- Easy Apple Turnovers with Cheese
More Ways to Enjoy Cheese:
Visit Dairy Farmers of Canada for delicious recipes using cheese!
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Canada. I will be working with Dairy Farmers of Canada over the next year to bring you some delicious recipe ideas that I have created! This recipe, all pictures and words are my own. I love cheese. 😉