This Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread is a great addition to your dinner table! In about 1 hour you can have fresh baked bread to serve alongside your soups, stews or casseroles.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (use an Old Cheddar)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Whisk the melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mix, and gently combine. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, shredded zucchini and chopped chives.
- Line a 9 x 5 baking tin with parchment paper and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
** Edited to Add: Some readers have mentioned that their loaves took a really long time to bake, and I think this may be due to the zucchini being ‘wet’ after being grated. So you may wish to squeeze out the excess juice, using a tea towel, before adding it to the batter. I have made a few of these loaves and haven’t experienced this problem, but I wanted to add this note for you. **