Have I ever told you how much I love breakfast? In fact, it’s my favourite meal of the day and I look forward to it when I go to bed at night, haha! It’s my favourite meal to eat, and my favourite meal to make.
Because I love breakfast so much, I’m always looking for new recipes! So last week I ventured into unknown territory and got my bacon & egg on in a new way. I made bacon in the oven for the first time ever. This method, by the way, is SO genius…no mess. I’m not kidding. There was no mess. I didn’t have to clean one drop of bacon grease! I honestly didn’t think that was possible…usually I’m cleaning up bacon splatter for days on end. But this method made the most perfectly cooked, flat, and delicious bacon. I will never ever ever ever cook bacon in a pan again. Ever.
Anyhoo, back to breakfast…you need to try these. No, you really do.
These. Oh my. These Bacon & Egg Breakfast Cups. Let me tell you. They are the bomb-diggity. All the best things tucked into one cute little cup. Major major deliciousness going on here.
As well as being simple and quick to make, these cups are so versatile! Because they’re made in a muffin tin, each cup can be tailored to what each person likes to eat. This is especially great if you have kids who only want eggs & cheese, or one who hates tomatoes…or if you’re like me you can load yours up with goodies like swiss chard and mushrooms. My word. Perfect.
Then pop them in the oven and 30 minutes later breakfast is served!
- 1 package of bacon, cooked, then cut in half
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped mushrooms
- chopped swiss chard or spinach
- chopped bell pepper
- chopped cooked ham
- First cook your bacon. As I mentioned I baked mine. Martha Stewart has a great tutorial.
- Then cut your bacon in half, and line a muffin cup with 3-4 half pieces. The more bacon you use, the easier the egg cup will slip out of the muffin tin.
- Set your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and cheese.
- Then add and stir in the onions and what ever other additions you would like in your cups, to the egg mixture. Have fun with this part and make different ones for everyone!
- Pour the egg mixture evenly between the 6-8 cups you are making. The egg mixture should be just below the top of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. It may take longer depending on how many optional ingredients you have added.
Have a delicious day!