Today my thermometer read -31.1! It is so cold here, and I don’t want to do anything but bake. So today I am going to use up the unappetizing pile of brownish bananas on my counter. I have tried many a banana bread/muffin recipe, and trust me these should be easy to make, I mean they are a North American staple, but I have made terrible, and I mean terrible banana bread. Tasting like fish kind of banana bread. Really.
But rejoice! I have found the banana muffin recipe. No fail, always yummy, so easy to make. I have adapted it from the Best of Bridge cookbook series, and made it my own, with a couple of changes. One being, removing the nutmeg (I hate nutmeg), and instead I used cinnamon. Also I have put in a yum-yummy centre of Nutella goodness. So good! Try these – you will love them I promise!
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (no more than 1 cup)
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda, dissolved in 2 tsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, then mashed bananas.
- Add baking soda/water mix and the vanilla, then combine.
- Mix flour and cinnamon in a separate bowl, then add to banana mix and combine.
- Fill your muffin cups about a ¼ full, then add about a teaspoon of Nutella into the centre.
- Top off the muffin cup with more batter, to make the muffin cups about ½ full in total.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.