- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong coffee (it can be hot, warm or cool)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep your baking pans. You can either grease and flour your pans, or use parchment paper. See tips!
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla to dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Pour your batter evenly into your prepped cake pans. Gently tap the pans on the countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate your pans. Bake for about 15 minutes more, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- When done, let your pans cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then remove cakes from the pans.
Recipe from Sweetapolita
- When prepping your pans, you can grease them and dust them with flour…or instead of flour use cocoa powder so that way you won’t see the powder from the white flour on your cake.
- Another option for prepping the pans is to use parchment or wax paper to line the bottom of the pans…this is my preferred method (as in the picture below). My cakes always come out easily with this method.
- 1½ cups butter (not margarine)
- 3¾ cups icing sugar
- 9 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- Beat all ingredients until the icing is nice and fluffy. You will have to scrape the bowl often.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine