Just recently I started to make my own granola more regularly.
Besides being delicious, there are a few other reasons for this:
- I wanted a wheat free option for us for breakfast.
- Granola is SO dang expensive in the grocery store. I just don’t get this. The ingredients are so cheap, yet a box of granola can set you back almost $8 for a teensy weensy box. What’s up with that?!
- Granola is so versatile: it’s great as a breakfast cereal, a topping for yogurt or just alone as a snack.
- Oh, can’t forget that it’s yummy too. What’s the point if it doesn’t taste good? 😉
It’s sweet and crunchy. And simple.
It makes the perfect hearty breakfast!
Just keep the granola in a handy, easy to grab container on your counter,
and everyone can just help themselves.
I use a large glass container to store it (you may remember it from my kitchen organizing post),
and it sits looking all scrumptious on my counter.
So here goes. It’s a great recipe, and will take you less than an hour to make!
Coconut Honey Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut (divided in 1/2 - 1/2 for baking 1/2 to add later)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, Chia seeds and 1/2 cup of coconut. Toss to mix.
In a saucepan over low heat melt the butter, then add the honey. Stir to blend. You don't need to boil it, just mix it.
Pour the honey mix over the oat mixture and mix well.
Spread the granola mix out onto the baking sheet and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until crunchy and golden.
Cool. The granola will harden as it cools, so don't be worried if it seems soft when you take it out of the oven!
Once the granola has cooled, add the remaining coconut.
Recipe NotesIf you want, you can add nuts or raisins or any dried fruit to your granola. Just add the nuts before you bake the granola, and add any dried fruit after the granola has been baked and cooled.
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma
My little guy says it tastes like a cookie! Winning!
Have a delicious day!