I just don’t know where the time is going! How is it already almost the end of October? And where did this snow come from? Wasn’t I just enjoying summer sun and heat on the deck? Now it’s dark at dinner time and I feel like we’re almost in the dead of winter on some days!
But I do have to say, the one thing I like about the fact that winter is on it’s way, is that it does feel cozy in here. And it makes me want to cook comfort food…so I guess that’s something isn’t it?! I actually enjoy cooking this time of year the most…there is just something so comforting about the food that comes with fall and winter.
Hearty, yummy comfort food. But it’s got to be quick too! Most days I need to be able to get dinner on the table in one hour or less. So I’m always looking for new recipes to be able to achieve this. And I also need recipes that use ingredients that I have on hand most of the time. There’s a time for fancy stuff with fancy ingredients, but there’s nothing like having a recipe that’s simple and uses ingredients I have in the house.
So here is another delicious dish that you can have on your table in under 1 hour! It’s so good for those nights when you just don’t know what to make for dinner. And the addition of tomato sneaks in some extra nutrition too!
- 1 lb (450 g) elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1½ cups cheese (mild, medium or sharp Cheddar Cheese or Monterey Jack)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- In a pan, melt the butter and cook the onion and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add the flour to the onion mix and stir, mixing thoroughly.
- Whisk in the milk, and stir until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the tomato paste and oregano. Stir.
- Gradually stir in the grated and parmesan cheeses.
- Add the pasta and stir.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
I put my finished macaroni in an oven proof dish, covered it, and kept it in a 300 degree oven until dinner time. (Maximum time was 15 minutes.)
Recipe adapted from All You Need is Cheese
Let’s look again… mmmmmmmmm
This dish is great served as a side dish too. Just serve it alongside some chicken and green vegetables! Yum!
Have a delicious day!