So wow, this has been a crazy week. I don’t know what happens to kids and schedules and to-do lists this time of year but it feels like nothing is getting done. It didn’t help that we were all sick, so I’m playing catch up, big time. Or that my house is a mega disaster and it’s hard to find the time to keep it clean while we’re running out to activities and play dates 5 times a week around here. Good golly mama needs a vacay. Like to Mexico for a week by myself again kind of vacay…now we’re talking…but I’m only day dreaming.
For now I’ll just have to be happy with Mexico at home, which suits me fine because we love Mexican food. I find this time of year we tend to eat a lot of it. I don’t know why, maybe it’s all the fresh flavours and ingredients that are like a promise that summer is just around the corner. So Cinqo de Mayo is a cinch for us…taco night?! Yes please. Or better yet…margarita night.
Anyway, with only a few days until Cinqo de Mayo the #FridayRecipeClub gals and I thought it would be fun to bring you all kinds of delicious Mexican menu ideas. You can find all the links to their recipes at the bottom of this post, but first I serve up to you this super easy Mexican Rice recipe!
Mexican rice is the perfect side dish to any meal. It’s full of flavour which pairs nicely with BBQ’d meats, or served alongside with my Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Butter! And you can tailor this rice to your tastebuds too! Add chopped jalapenos if you like more heat, or stir in a tsp or so of homemade taco spice for more flavour. It’s up to you…just enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 1 - 4 oz can green chilis
- 1¼ cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 small can tomato sauce (around 213ml)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onions, garlic and red pepper until soft.
- Add the rice and saute for about 4 - 6 minutes.
- Add the water, tomato sauce and green chilis and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed. Try not to stir the rice while it is cooking or it will become mushy.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the fresh chopped cilantro and serve!
For more delicious Cinqo de Mayo recipes, you can find them here:
- Pico de Gallo by Simply Stacie
- Dragonfruit Mock Mojito by Frugal Mom Eh
- Layered Bean Dip by Mommy Moment
- Chicken Mango Tacos by My 3 Little Kittens
- Worlds Best Guacamole by Family Food and Travel
- Strawberry Margarita Mocktail by SoberJulie
- Quinoa Bacon Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers by This Lil Piglet
- Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Butter
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Cilantro & Red Pepper Guacamole
- Easy Chicken Chilaquiles
- Creamy Chicken & Green Chili Enchiladas