I made another dessert in a jar. I know, I know, I’m so cliche and breaking the ‘no-mason jar desserts’ food rule for 2013 (who made that rule anyway?). But I think mason jars & food go together like PB & J. Too cute. And why not? Why not I say! What’s not to love about little individual servings!
I wanted to show you something that would be a great treat for St. Patrick’s Day, or even Earth Day!
No Bake Mini Grasshopper Pies.
The green colour and the mint makes them super fun for these two occasions!
Growing up, I seem to remember that at many of our family get togethers there was always a Grasshopper Pie! I loved them! But since then I haven’t seen one, or even had a little bite of one! Maybe it was a pie of the times? So I thought, then why not make one for my family?
How had my kids not ever heard of Grasshopper Pie?! Gasp!
So I made one…but I made it even cuter. In jars. One for everyone! So fun.
They’re simple to make, and your family is sure to love them…they’re a special touch that they’ll appreciate!
Minty. Creamy. Chocolatey!
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped oreo cookies (remove the icing centres first) See instructions.
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup Creme de Menthe (see notes)
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- chocolate shavings
- 5 mini mason jars
- First, remove all the icing centres of your Oreo cookies (about ½ a package), and using a food processor, coarsely grind the chocolate cookie parts up. Or if you are feeling really adventurous, keep the icing in! It will just make your dessert more sweet...maybe too sweet? (is that even possible?!)
- In a saucepan, melt the marshmallows with the milk over low heat. Then chill the mixture, stirring it occasionally, until mixture begins to set.
- Once the marshmallow mix has cooled and set, stir in the Creme de Menthe. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Then fold the whipped cream into the mint mixture. Set aside.
- For the crust, evenly spread the cookie mixture into the bottoms of your mason jars, then pack it down.
- Add the mint mixture on top of the cookie mixture, evenly spreading it out between the 5 jars.
- If you like, top the mini pies with a little dollop of whip cream, and some chocolate shavings. I just grated some semi-sweet chocolate, and sprinkled it on.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Have a delicious day!