Looking for something a little different for dinner? I know I yam. sorry, ’bout that joke…couldn’t help myself!
One of the things I want to try more of this year is to eat less meat.
I don’t know why really, other than all I know is that on those days when I don’t eat meat, I feel lighter…
So this is a great recipe for Meatless Monday!
I also want to be more adventurous in the kitchen this year.
Try new things. New spices. New ingredients.
So I thought I would start with this Potato, Yam & Chickpea Coconut Curry that I saw in Canadian Living.
It just sounded soooooo good to me.
But I was nervous about this dish. It’s very outside of my comfort zone with respect to feeding the kids.
My kids have kind of a bland palate (totally my fault).
It’s just easy to feed kids what they like, because you just want them to eat, you know?
And there’s nothing I dislike more than busting my butt in the kitchen only to have the kids hate their dinner.
But times are a ‘changin, and the kids are going to try and like new things if it kills me! 😉
A big surprise though…they liked this. Even the baby had 3 bites, and for him that’s big – usually he just looks at food and decides whether or not he’s going to eat it. 3 bites is big.
So overall, I’d say this dish was a success!
This is a neat recipe. You can make it either in a crockpot, or your oven.
The original recipe is actually a crockpot recipe, but the day that I decided to make it,
I realized I didn’t have enough time for the crockpot to work it’s magic, so I put it in the oven. Worked fabulously!
So on with dinner…
Potato, Yam & Chickpea Coconut Curry
- 2 cups yam, peeled & cubed
- 2 cups potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 - 19oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 3 tbsp mild curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk (400mL)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Depending on your cooking method, get out your crockpot or an oven proof casserole dish. To it, add the cubed yam, cubed potatoes and the chickpeas. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook the onion, garlic and ginger in the 1 tbsp oil. Cook until the onion is soft.
- Then add the curry paste to the onion mixture, and cook for 1 minute. Add to the crockpot.
- In another bowl, combine the coconut milk, broth, peanut butter and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the yam mix. Stir.
Let's cook it!
- For the crockpot method, cook covered in your crockpot on low for about 4 hours, or until the veggies are tender.
- For the oven method, cook covered in a 325 degree oven for about 2 hours, or until the veggies are tender.
- Just make sure to stir a few times during the cooking process.
- After about 2 hours stir in 1 cup of frozen peas, and bake for about 10 more minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine