Happy Friday my friends! I’m so glad it’s the weekend. Aren’t you? I find the first month of back to school and all the activities that come with it, absolutely exhausting. Not to mention the back to school bugs that seem to be making their rounds here. Needless to say, we’re all ready for some relaxation time. The weekends are all about unwinding and enjoying family…and of course eating good food too right?! Of course it is!
I’ve got a great recipe for you to enjoy this weekend. So remember this week when I posted my Braided Pumpkin Bread recipe, and teased you about a dessert that I was going to share? Well this is it. Pumpkin Bread Pudding! I took some of the bread I made and turned it into this creamy, delicious pumpkin bread pudding. And you need to try it!
I haven’t made a bread pudding in ages, and forgot how great they are. I had to halt third helpings, the kids loved it so much!
This dessert melts in your mouth and tastes just like pumpkin pie! Serve it warm with ice cream, and oh my word you have dessert heaven.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 8 cups of cubed bread I used my Braided Pumpkin Bread. See notes for other options
- 2 cups of pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of cream half & half
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin, cream, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt until smooth.
Add the bread cubes and stir until the bread is moistened.
Let the mixture sit for about 10 -15 minutes, or until the pumpkin mixture has been absorbed by the bread.
Transfer the mixture over to a baking dish (I used a 9 inch deep circle baking dish), and bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Let the bread pudding cool for about a half hour, sprinkle on some confectioners sugar, then serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe NotesBread options: you can also use challah or brioche.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It would be great for Thanksgiving…a fun twist to a classic dessert!
– – – – –
Here are even more delicious pumpkin recipes for you:
- Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing by Family Food and Travel
- Pumpkin Spice Delight Java by Mommy Moment
- Layered Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie by Frugal Mom Eh
- Chocolate, Butterscotch & Peanut Butter Chip Pumpkin Cookies by Echoes of Laughter
- Mini Pumpkin Pies by My Organized Chaos
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies by My 3 Little Kittens
- Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal