It’s no secret that I love baked oatmeals. I love them in any form: Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal, Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal, Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal…you name it. And I often make them when I know we have a busy day the next day. I get them all prepared the night before and pop them in the oven before I jump in the shower in the morning. That way breakfast is being made while we’re all getting ready for the day. Love that. Not to mention the house smells amazing while we’re all getting ready!
Last night was one of those nights that I felt like having breakfast ready for the morning, so I decided to try something a little different than our usual standbys. We love raspberries so I thought I’d make a Raspberry Baked Oatmeal, basically just tweaking my other recipes to include berries. And if you don’t like raspberries you could use any kind of berry: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries.
To say that we loved this would be an understatement. It’s creamy and bursting with the flavour of fresh raspberries. Really, really good. Even the pickiest of the bunch loves baked oatmeals and he really loved this one…he said “mmmmm, Mom this is really good”
All it takes is about 15 minutes of prep the night before and you have a hearty, healthy and delicious breakfast made! You don’t even have to break a sweat with this one! Plus, it feels good to start the new year getting back on track with good food doesn’t it?
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ cup yogurt (see notes)
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, milk, yogurt and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the egg mixture and the oat mixture.
- Pour half of the oat mixture into an 8×8 baking dish.
- Sprinkle on half of the raspberries.
- Pour on the rest of the oat mixture.
- Sprinkle on the remaining raspberries, and gently stir just to cover the berries.
- Then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning put the dish into a cold oven, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with milk, cream or whipped cream.
- – – – – – – – – – – -
Maybe an idea for breakfast this weekend?
Sharing with I should be mopping the floor