This recipe is a little harder to give quantities for, as it really depends on how many you need for an appetizer. But here’s what we used:
Shack’s Shrimp with Prosciutto & Basil
1 bag of large uncooked prawns, fresh or frozen (we had about 20 prawns)
Basil – enough to wrap each prawn with one leaf (so about a good sized handful of basil)
Prosciutto – enough to wrap each prawn (we used 1 – 800g package)
Salt (optional – the prosciutto is salty enough)
- Thaw your prawns if you are using frozen.
- Then rinse the prawns and pat dry.
- Lay out the prosciutto, then lay a basil leaf in the centre of the prosciutto strip.
- Wrap the prosciutto & basil around the centre of the prawn. You have no need for toothpicks to pin it all together, as the prosciutto sticks to itself. Wrap as tight as you can without tearing the prosciutto. See picture above.
- Brush both sides of the wrapped prawn with olive oil, then sprinkle on some cracked pepper (salt to taste, although there is usually enough salt from prosciutto).
- Preheat your BBQ to a medium heat.
- Lay the wrapped prawns directly on to the BBQ, and cook for roughly 3 – 4 minutes on each side depending on thickness. You don’t need to grease the rack, as the olive oil on the prawns does the trick.
- The prawns are done when they start to appear orange in spots.
- Serve immediately!