Yay it’s Friday! I do love weekends. Weekends mean time with my little family, and it means more time and the excuse to get creative in my kitchen. When I don’t have the timeline of rushed weeknight dinners, I like to make our meals a little more special. It’s also great because my husband is home and he loves to cook too, so our cooking becomes a joint effort and I love that! So last weekend we decided to have fun with our Sunday lunch and we made these scrumptious quesadillas.
And I do declare this is my favourite quesadilla of all times. Feed it to me morning, noon and night. It has all of my fave ingredients: spinach, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, basil, garlic and caramelized onions. Is your mouth watering yet?
Spinach & Goat Cheese Quesadillas with Caramelized Onions and Sundried Tomatoes
Loaded with flavour, fresh ingredients and ooey gooey cheese…yum
Spinach, onions, garlic, basil…seriously…can it get any better?
Why yes it can…add sundried tomatoes, shredded white cheese and goat cheese. The bomb!
These quesadillas make a perfect lunch…they’re light yet hearty, and so simple to make. No, these are not complicated at all. In fact, these would make a great mid afternoon meal when you have company over. They appear all kinds of gourmet, but the secret is they’re so easy!
- 12 small flour or gluten free tortillas
- 2 large onions
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 6 - 8 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese (can use Monterey Jack, white cheddar or Havarti)
- 6 tbsp chopped (and drained) sundried tomatoes
- handful of fresh spinach leaves
- In a pan, melt the butter with the olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, and basil and season with salt & pepper, and cook over low heat until the onions are a caramel colour. About 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a griddle over medium to hight heat. (I like to use a pancake grill)
- Brush the grill with olive oil.
- Add the tortillas to the grill and toast the inside of the tortillas for about 30 seconds, then take the tortillas off the grill to assemble your quesadillas.
- On 6 of the tortillas, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese, 1 - 2 tbsp goat cheese, followed by 1 tbsp chopped sundried tomatoes, heaping 1 - 2 tbsp caramelized onion mixture, and 3-4 fresh spinach leaves, then finish off with another tbsp of shredded cheese.
- And cap off with a tortilla shell, carefully sandwiching the tortillas together:
- Add the quesadillas to the grill and cook for about 1 - 2 minutes on each side, or until the tortillas are gently golden brown and the cheese is melted.
– – – – – – – – –
You can make these completely gluten free as well, just substitute out the flour tortilla for gluten free ones.
I hope you try and enjoy these quesadillas!
Check out these delicious spinach recipes from the other gals in my #FridayRecipeClub:
- Spinach and Fruit Salad by My Organized Chaos
- Spinach Salad Bites by Echoes of Laughter
- Strawberry Spinach Salad by Mommy Moment
- Artichoke & Spinach Dip by me
- Spinach & Cheese Egg Muffins by Simply Stacie
- Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells by This Lil Piglet
- Spinach Mushroom Crepes by My 3 Little Kittens
- Mini Spinach Bread Bowls by Spaceships & Laserbeams
Sharing with This Gal Cooks