As I’ve mentioned before, I’m on a bit of a rhubarb kick. When this fruit is in season I can’t help but want to put it in everything…I just love it’s tang and how wonderfully it pairs with strawberries. They’re like the perfect combination of tart and sweet. Delish. And there is just something so comforting about the combo to me because it reminds me of so many get togethers with all of my cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents. I think this must be because someone always made a dessert with strawberries and rhubarb…being on the prairies rhubarb was always abundant in the spring.
So I’ve decided to grow rhubarb in my own yard…yes you can grow it in the suburbs! I planted one last year in hopes that it would come back with a vengeance this spring, and has it ever! My plant is bigger than I could have hoped so I have plenty of it to bake with this year. More even, so I think I’ll try to freeze some for the winter months. I love being able to grow my own food…there is just something so satisfying and rewarding about it!
So I got busy in my kitchen, armed with my fresh rhubarb and made these delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins. These are moist, and tart and sweet and cinnamon-y. SO good!
This recipe uses the base of my Mom’s Oatmeal Muffin recipe, and I just basically added fresh rhubarb and strawberries and a cinnamon sugar topping. They’re so simple to make, I wonder why I’ve never made them before.
Here is the recipe – I hope you enjoy it! These muffins are perfectly delicious for breakfast!
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- cinnamon sugar topping
- Combine the oats and buttermilk, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another bowl combine the oil, egg and brown sugar. Then add this to the oat mix.
- Combine the oat mix with the flour mix.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Scoop the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups for 12 large muffins, or you if you want smaller muffins, spread the batter between 16 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a cinnamon sugar mix.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Looking for more rhubarb recipes? I’ve got more!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping