So to finish up my Thanksgiving menu, here is my go-to recipe for stuffing!
It’s buttery, rich and so flavourful!
Oh, and it soaks up gravy amazingly!!
Harvest Apple & Herb Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup butter
- 8-9 cups cubed bread (I like to use a mix of white whole wheat and pumpernickel)
- 1 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup raisins and apples
In a large fry pan, cook celery and onions in butter until tender.
Add bread cubes, and mix until the bread is coated in butter.
Add salt, spices, raisins and apples. Combine well.
At this point you can do either of two things:
Stuff your turkey with the stuffing and bake it that way, or
Bake the stuffing separately. To do this, put the stuffing in a casserole dish, cover it, and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven, for 45 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.
- You can use any kind of bread that you wish. All white, or mix in whole wheat, raisin bread, cranberry multi-grain…
- Use real butter, not margarine. It makes all the difference with the flavour!