Chili is one of the best dinners around! It’s easy to make, it’s filling, delicious and so versatile!
Serve it with homemade cornbread or rice, and dinner is fabulous!
|On a side note, how great are these bowls?! (Crate & Barrel)|
A perfect dinner on a cold winters night, or when camping!
Best Beef Chili
- 8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- 1 ¼ cups red wine (or use beef broth)
- 2 – 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 – 14 oz cans beans (kidney beans, or chick peas, or brown beans, or corn)
- Brown ground meat with onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add bacon. Drain if necessary.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook and stir continually for 1 minute.
- Add wine (or broth), tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions! And toast. Have to have toast!
This chili is even better after it has sat for 1 day in the fridge. It also freezes very well.