Meatless Monday: Quinoa Burgers
We have implemented Meatless Mondays in our house, and I have to say I really enjoy doing this!
There is a bit of pressure off of meal making on this day.
No meat to remember to take out of the freezer. No magic timing on the BBQ.
– – –
Although, I must confess this recipe is not that simple. But it is delicious!
Even the kids liked it (minus the baby, but what else is new on that front?!).
It is a keeper!
– – –
The flavour is amazing, but they are really, really crumbly.
So you could make them as burgers, or you could wrap them up in a pita.
Equally yummy (I had them for lunch the next day as a pita!)
– – –
Prep time: 20 minutes, plus 1 hour for refrigeration. Cooking time: About 10 minutes.
- 2 cups cooked Quinoa (cook according to package directions)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- tzatziki sauce
- onions and whatever you like!
- In a food processor, pulse the shredded zucchini and shredded carrots, until crumbly. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In the food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they are crumbly. You can transfer them over to the bowl of zucchini and carrots.
- In a fry pan, heat up some oil, then cook onions and garlic until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Then add the mix of mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots to the fry pan with the onions & garlic. Cook until all the liquid disappears. About 10-15 minutes.
- Then, in the food processor, pulse the chickpeas until they are crumbly.
- In a bowl, mix together bread crumbs and egg. Add chickpea mix. Combine.
- Add mushroom mix to the breadcrumb/chickpea mix. Salt & pepper to taste. Combine.
- Add cooked quinoa. Combine.
- Refrigerate mix for about 1 hour.
After the mix is done cooling:
- In a clean fry pan, heat up about 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Shape your mix into patties.
- Cook in fry pan about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on whole grain buns with tzatziki sauce, and all the burger trimmings: lettuce, tomato, onions.
- Or wrap up in a whole wheat tortilla with the tzatziki sauce and trimmings.
So delish! I know the recipe looks complicated, but really it isn’t! The food processor does all the work! Happy Meatless Monday!