If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time you likely know already that I have a bit of a pancake fetish. I love them. I can’t live without them. Honestly. Hahaha. True.
So when we decided to cut down on the amount of wheat we were eating, I was at a loss for breakfast. How on earth was I going to be able to eat pancakes? Especially since none of us liked any of the gluten free flour blends I brought home. The thought of never having a normal tasting pancake was distressing…because Saturday morning pancakes are our thing. It’s what we do on weekends!
So we’ve been experimenting a lot with different recipes. The first pancake we discovered and loved were my Wheat Free Quinoa Pancakes, and the second one are these Wheat Free Buttermilk Pancakes. They’re SO good.
They’re soft and full of pancake-y flavour goodness…that is, they taste just like a pancake should. Winner!
And another great thing is that the ingredients are not complicated. I’ve made oat flour and almond flour staples in our home, and with those 2 ingredients you can make almost anything! So for this recipe, we used my Best Ever Buttermilk Pancake recipe as the base, and played around with the flours.
This is what we came up with.
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Stir to just combine. The batter should be slightly lumpy (small lumps).
- Let the batter sit for at least 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- I cook these on a grill at 275 degrees. They’re best cooked at a medium heat for a little longer than you would regular pancakes.
- Scoop about ⅓ cup batter for each pancake.
- Pancakes are ready to flip when the top of each pancake is spotted with bubbles and some of the bubbles have popped.
Whew. Now our Saturday routines are back to normal! Normal is goooood!
Have a delicious day!