It’s a sunny day, and the birds are singing…it’s fabulous! And such a relief. Maybe, just maybe spring is here. Fingers crossed. This kind of morning makes me want to make pancakes. Actually, let’s just be honest here, every morning makes me want to eat pancakes. They’re the best aren’t they? I’m a firm believer too, that you can never have too many pancake recipes…especially good-for-you ones that everyone will eat. Kids included. 😉
We’ve been eating cottage cheese pancakes for a long time now, but just recently perfected a wheat free version of them. Now first, I have to say, please don’t be scared off of the whole cottage cheese thing. The cheese just kind of melts and melds into the pancake…they’re not lumpy and chunky like you might think. Not at all.
These pancakes are fluffy, creamy, and rich! Yum.
These pancakes have one extra step more than regular pancakes,
but they’re well worth the nutritious effort!
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- In one bowl combine all the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, cottage cheese, butter, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until the batter is just combined. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat your griddle to a medium heat. And when you are ready to make your pancakes, use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. If you want larger pancakes, use ⅓ cup.
- The pancakes are ready to flip when the edges of the pancake appear dry.
- Serve with syrup and fresh fruit! Yum!
Recipe adapted from the Joy of Cooking
How scrumptious for a Mother’s Day Brunch, or a special weekend breakfast! Serve them with syrup and fresh fruit…yum!
If you love pancakes here are more of our favourites:
Wheat Free Quinoa Pancakes
Wheat Free Buttermilk Pancakes
Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Peanut Butter Pancakes