This Caramel Crunch Popcorn is a family favourite! It’s rich, creamy and so full of delicious caramel flavour!
– – – – – –
And so it begins…it’s crunch time. Baking, eating, baking, eating…tight pants. But who can resist all the scrumptiousness this time of year? Not I. It’s all about cookies, chocolate, cake and delicious appetizers. This time of year is the best. All the food.
One of our most favourite, and most asked for treats this time of year is Caramel Crunch Popcorn. There’s never been a Christmas yet where this recipe hasn’t been on the treat plate.
This Caramel Crunch Corn is my Mom‘s recipe, and I believe she got it from my Grandma. I love so much that this is a family recipe passed down…it will always remind me of them. And now I hope that this recipe will remind my own kids of me…considering that they ask for it every year, I think that is a possibility. Love.
I like to make a couple batches of this popcorn over the holiday season because it doesn’t last long! Usually the first batch lasts about 1 day. Ack. And I usually make one batch with nuts and one without. I’m in the no nut camp as far as popcorn goes, but my Dad and my husband love nuts in theirs so I make a batch just for them.
This Caramel Crunch Corn makes a great gift too. Just wrap it up in some cellophane and tie it with some pretty ribbon! Delicious and pretty!
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup pecans & almonds (optional)
- Pop your popcorn. Then measure out about 8 cups and spread it out onto a large cookie sheet.
- If you wish to add nuts to your popcorn, you might want to toast them in a 350 degree oven for 2-5 minutes, watching them very carefully. Toasting them brings out their amazing flavour! When the nuts are toasted, sprinkle them over the popped popcorn. Set aside.
- Now on to the caramel! In a saucepan melt the butter, then add the sugar and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil, stirring occasionally until the mixture turns caramel coloured.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Then pour the caramel over the popcorn and nuts. Using a fork, gently mix, and separate into clusters.
- Store in a tightly closed container.
- I like my Caramel Crunch Popcorn soft and chewy. From my experience, I have found the more the caramel coloured the mixture is, the harder the popcorn crunch is…so I cook my caramel mixture just a little less in time than I think I should, so it comes out soft.
- Make sure you use a really good salted butter for this recipe!
- This makes a great hostess or neighbour gift too. Just put some in a pretty tin or wrap some up in wax paper or cellophane and tie with some festive ribbon.
Have a very Merry day!