This Creamy Gouda Cheese Cauliflower Bake is a delicious and easy side dish for any time of year!
It’s Cheese of the Month time again! I’m really enjoying sharing delicious Canadian cheeses and creating new dishes each month, and I hope you are too! Since I began my partnership with the Dairy Farmers of Canada, I’ve had the chance to feature a wide variety of delicious, award winning Canadian cheeses, and have created desserts, lunches, side dishes, snacks and appetizers with all different types of cheese. So much yum.
This month I wanted to create a comforting and cheesy side dish recipe that you can serve at holiday dinners, or any time of year too! And because I think cauliflower and cheese were made to go together, I created this Creamy Gouda Cheese Cauliflower Bake with Sylvan Star Cheese’s Grizzly Gouda, an extra-aged Canadian Gouda.
I thought that the sharp bite of the Grizzly Gouda would taste amazing in a cream based sauce so I stirred in a generous cup of the grated cheese. It’s a perfect compliment to the subtle flavour of the cauliflower.
You can double the recipe if you are feeding crowd. You can even make it a day ahead, then reheat it when you’re ready to serve!
Creamy Gouda Cheese Cauliflower Bake
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cup grated Grizzly Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup extra grated Grizzly Gouda cheese for the top
- chopped green onion for garnish
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
First cook the cauliflower. In a pot of boiling water, boil the cauliflower pieces for about 3 minutes...you don't want them to cook fully, just until slightly tender. Drain, and set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter then stir in the flour. Cook for about 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in the whole milk, and stir until thickened. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper and the dry mustard. Mix well.
Stir in the grated cheese until melted.
Add the cooked cauliflower pieces to a baking dish, then pour on the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle the extra cheese over the top.
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
When done baking you may find the dish a bit watery, but just give it a good stir before serving and it will be nice and creamy.
Sprinkle on some chopped green onion, and serve.
About Sylvan Star Cheese’s Grizzly Gouda:
- Type: An extra-aged Canadian Gouda.
- Tasting Notes: Smooth and creamy texture, with rich, nutty flavours. This cheese has a waxed rind.
- Location: Produced in Red Deer, Alberta. Made with milk from the Schalkwyk family’s own Holstein dairy cows that live on the same property where the cheese is created.
- Pairing: Pairs well with fortified cider, white beers, fruity red wines, and even green tea.
- Fun Fact! This cheese is named ‘Grizzly’ because of its bite and power!
More Delicious Canadian Cheese Recipes:
- Tipsy Cheese and Cherry Crostinis
- Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam
- Baked Canadian Camembert with Rhubarb Compote
- Dessert Cheese Plate
- Zucchini Cheddar Biscuits
- Easy Apple Turnovers with Cheese
- Whipped Mashed Potatoes with Black Truffle Cheese
More Ways to Enjoy Cheese:
Visit Dairy Farmers of Canada for delicious recipes using cheese!
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Canada. I will be working with Dairy Farmers of Canada over the next year to bring you some delicious recipe ideas that I have created! This recipe, all pictures and words are my own. I love cheese. 😉