Today I’m sharing a recipe and story from my Mom…moms have the best treasure trove of recipes! My Mom is an amazing cook, and so much of my childhood memories are of delicious home cooked meals, and homemade treats, which I credit to my love of being in the kitchen as well. Her love of feeding us healthy home cooked food, has been passed along to me, and it’s a gift that I will always be thankful for.
Before we get to her recipe you should meet my Mom. Did you know that she also has a blog? Yes she does, and it’s beautiful…she writes at Keeping With The Times, and shares stunning photography, recipes and craft ideas. We are a lot alike, in that we love photography, gardening, home making, food and cooking.
One of my most favourite Mom-made dishes ever, is this Festive Onion Casserole. If you love onions, you will probably love this dish…the onions which are naturally sweet go perfectly with the parmesan cheese crust…so delicious. It’s so good that I just have to share it with you. As a matter of fact, we had it last night with roasted chicken! Yum.
Now a little background about this dish from my Mom: “This recipe was given to me, probably 25 or more years ago, by my friend, Rema. I have prepared it countless times and my family loves it. Now I often make it when I am on my own. That’s when I don’t have anything else with it – no meat – no salad – nothing. It’s oniony, creamy, and tangy with parmesan cheese. Better comfort food I’ve never found! I often throw in a little grated mozzarella, or asiago right into the onions if I have a bit on hand. Last night it was a tablespoon of ricotta, some extra parmesan and a bit of asiago. Any yellow onions can be used but if you use sweet onions the taste is out of this world!”
I can attest to enjoying this dish all on my own…I eat the leftovers for lunch…all of them. I don’t share. 😉
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- tbsp extra cheese (a little grated mozzarella or asiago (or 1 ricotta or parmesan) – optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place onions and butter in casserole dish (I used an 8×8 dish) and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Keep the lid on the dish so the onions steam a little bit.
- After the onions have cooked, they may have released a lot of juice, so you might want to drain some off…if there is too much the dish will be runny.
- Meanwhile, in another dish beat the eggs lightly, then mix in the cream, salt and pepper.
- Stir in any little bits of extra cheese if you wish.
- Then pour the egg mixture over the cooked onions.
- Cover with the parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered for about 15 – 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and bubbling..
Have a delicious day!