A home made tomato and meat sauce that you can have on your table in under an hour!
– – – – – – –
Happy New Year! It’s January and I’m so grateful for it! Time to get back to normal, get things organized and get eating properly again!
I don’t know about you, but now that Christmas and New Years are over, we are craving home cooked comfort foods! I’m tired of holiday food. And sweets. And too much indulgence. And I’m ready for real food again…the kind of food that fills you up in the deep winter that is January.
And you just can’t go wrong with spaghetti sauce. This is a favourite in our home! It’s one of my favourites recipes also, because this recipe makes a big batch of sauce that’s enough for two meals (love that!). It’s also great because you can use it over spaghetti noodles or in a Classic Lasagna or Easy Ravioli Lasagna recipes. So good!
- 1 lbs to 2 lean ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 oz â 14 can tomato sauce (plain (no spices))
- 1 oz â 19 can diced tomatoes (plain (no spices))
- 1 oz â 5.5 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (or beef broth if you don’t want to use wine)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, brown the beef with the onions and garlic. When the beef is cooked through, drain it, then return to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt & pepper.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, covered.
For extra nutrition you can add any chopped up vegetable to the sauce that you like: bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. Just fry them up first in a frying pan until they’re cooked yet still crisp. Then add them to the sauce and cook as directed. Or you can add pureed yam or pumpkin.
If you don’t want to use ground beef, any ground meat works well in this recipe (especially ground chicken or turkey).
You can have a homemade spaghetti dinner on your table in just over an hour!
Homemade, simple and quick! Oh, and delish!
You might also like these delicious pasta recipes!
And for a vegetarian option, Simple 30-Minute Tomato Sauce
– – – – – – – –