Can I just tell you about my recent spa weekend at Sparkling Hill Resort near Vernon, B.C.? And maybe mention that it might have been the nicest little escape that I’ve ever had. And that maybe I can still smell the tropical fragranced showers on my bathing suit? And that I will definitely without a doubt go back…and back again. Over and over? 😉
Last weekend I had the amazing opportunity to spend a 3 day girls weekend at Sparkling Hill Resort. How lucky is that? I had the BEST time, so I want to share this weekend with you because I loved it so much. SO much. It’s a gem of a spot that the world needs to know about…seriously. The resort was incredible…it was a trip of a life time. The company was the best (this was such a great group I went with…love them all!) The food. The wine. Everything!
So I’m going to split my weekend up into a couple of different posts: one to show you the gorgeous resort, one to show you our wine tour and other out of resort activities…it was the best time!
I took a lot of pictures and posted a tonne on Instagram, so I’ll spare you a picture overload here and show you a few highlights of my time there. I had hoped to take pictures with my digital camera, but within 30 seconds of my arrival at the resort my camera broke. Sigh. Oh well…I snapped these with my iPhone and they turned out pretty nice…
First let me tell you that this place really truly does sparkle. There are 3.5 million Swarovski crystals throughout the resort. Beautiful sparkling crystals everywhere your eyes can see. Gorgeous! (Hence our #getsparkling hashtag for our stay there! If you want to see more pictures you can find posts on Instagram and Twitter from all the other gals I went on this trip with, just search by using our trip hashtag #getsparkling. There are some fun pics!)
This resort is beyond gorgeous and relaxing. You can have any kind of spa treatment your heart desires – everything from massages, to pedicures, manicures, facials, hair treatments… you name it. Then spend some time in the pools and steams and saunas. And in between all the spa and sauna experiences you can relax with your robe on in rooms called ‘Serenity’ or stop in for flavoured waters or tea in rooms with stunning views. Oh, and if you’re really adventurous, you might want to try out the -110 degree Celsius Cryotherapy Cold Sauna. Yes. -110 degrees.
Did I mention Sparkling Hill is ah-mazing?
And the rooms…wow. Every time I walked into my room I smiled. It was just so pretty…there are crystal features and ‘fireplaces’, wall-to-wall windows, bathtubs with with stunning views, heated floors, gorgeous showers and the comfiest beds ever.
But my most favourite part of my experience? The steams and saunas. The unique saunas and steams range in humidity and temperature: The Aqua Meditation Room, Rose Steam, Salt Steam, Crystal Steam, Herbal Sauna, Panorama Sauna, Finnish Sauna and the Igloo Room.
My fave was the Rose Steam. I am still dreaming of this steam room…seriously. It’s gorgeous…steamy, rose scented and just simply amazing. Did I mention I dream of it? Oh, and I can’t leave out the showers in the steam and sauna areas…you can choose between a few different kinds of showers…misting showers that smell like eucalyptus, or tropical showers that smell like flowers and sound like birds, or take a beyond freezing cold shower under the sounds of thunder. Who knew? The best ever.
I need a tropical rain shower with bird sounds at home. No really. I do.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
My tips for a stay at Sparkling Hill Resort:
- You don’t need to book a spa treatment to feel like you’ve spent a full and wonderful day at the spa. It’s true. You can spend your time in the pools, steams and saunas, ice rooms and tropical showers…and leave the resort feeling spa-fulfilled. I went 2 times a day when I was there – first thing in the morning, and before bed. Serious luxury. But having said that, the additional spa treatments are not to be missed. I had the most incredible massage and pedicure! But the steams and saunas are fan-dan-tastic.
- If you do book additional spa treatments, book them for the hours when the steams and saunas are closed. I was surprised to find that they are closed from 11am to 4pm each day. So make sure you book your massages, and pedicures and facials and things like that during this time.
- YES you can wear your robe and slippers all the live long day. Go down to your buffet breakfast in them if you want, and don’t get out of them until dinner time. And it’s good to know that you don’t even have to enter the lobby in your robe if you don’t want to, as there are elevators in the room wings that go down directly into the spa area.
- Back to the steams and saunas…they are the best. The BEST. So to make sure that you get the full benefit of your steam and sauna experience, read the signs. Follow the rules…start off in the meditation room and go through the steams and saunas, alternating with shower time, igloo room time and drinking water. And whisper. No one wants to hear your smoothie recipe. Nope. I only want to hear the birds or steam.
- Speaking of hydration…drink a lot of water when you are there. The steams and saunas will dry you out. And on that note, use lots of chapstick and lotion.
- This resort would be a beautiful experience with your loved one. My husband & I have plans to go together soon. It will be fantastic to experience this with him. But it’s also a great place to go with your girlfriends. There’s something for everyone.
- And yes…there really is such a thing as “European Hour” at Sparkling Hill Resort. Nekkie time in the saunas between 9 and 10 pm. And NO I did not participate…it’s just not my thang, lol!
Update: I have had some questions/comments about staying at Sparkling Hill, so here are a few more tips:
- The drive from Calgary is about 6 – 7 hours. But you can fly into Kelowna and from there it’s about a 1/2 hour drive.
- Yes, you can choose either a male or female spa treatment technician.
- Make sure to book your spa treatments before you get to the resort. They fill up fast, so book as soon as you can.
- The Predator Ridge Golf course is right in the same area, so if you or your guy want to golf, there is that option.
- Take 2 bathing suits with you. Trust me. You will spend a lot of time in the sauna area, and it’s not fun putting on a cold wet bathing suit.
- Take a book on your trip. You can read in the Serenity and Tea Rooms between treatments.
- There is a restaurant right at the resort – it hosts a great breakfast buffet. As well, the dining room for dinner has a no-jeans policy.
– – – – – – – – – – – –
I really truly had the most relaxing time at Sparkling Hill, and I have to admit it’s been hard adjusting to real life since I got back! 😉 But I’m already planning a trip back…I’m thinking we’ll make it an annual girls trip! And maybe an annual getaway for our wedding anniversary!
If you ever get the chance you should go.
The best way to stay up to date on the resorts specials and last minute deals is to sign up for their e-newsletter. I’ve already signed up because I’m going back. Soon y’all.
Disclosure: Sparkling Hill Resort provided my accommodations for my stay. But all opinions here are really truly my own. I truly loved my time there and will be going back many many times…I dream of the rose sauna and tropical showers…oh my!