This One Dish Roasted Sticky BBQ Chicken Dinner is a quick and delicious meal idea! In less than an hour it can be on your table!
– – – – – –
I’ve been sitting here for almost 2 hours trying to write this post, but I can’t seem to summon up the energy. Ever have those days? All I really want to do right now is sit on my couch and continue with my Gilmore Girls marathon…I’m on season 6 and am determined to finish it before the reunion show comes out. What I really should be doing is writing for my blog, cleaning the mess I’m staring at, then I should make the raspberry and cream Bundt cake I’ve been planning for ages, but…the…couch…is…so…comfortable.
Actually now that I think about it, this is kind of a good segue into this chicken dish. It’s recipes like this that save me on days like today…throw all the ingredients into one dish, bake it, then eat it. Everyone gets fed a healthy home cooked meal with minimal effort.
I’m a big fan of one pot dishes for roasted chicken. Chicken and vegetables roast together perfectly, with both being cooked and done at the same time, so there is no need for separate dishes which leaves you with only one dish to clean, hallelujah. For this particular roasted chicken, I seasoned it with a spice rub that I always use for my ribs (the best ribs ever I think!), but I just knew it would be perfect for chicken. This rub really is so fantastic, you can mix it up in 1 minute then smother the chicken in it…you’ll love the flavour. You need to try it on ribs too…you really really do.
Then to the dish I add what ever vegetables I happen to have around at the time, but really you could use just about anything…carrots, potatoes, onions, parsnips, cauliflower, beets, whatever you like. Once that’s done throw the dish in the oven and bake. Then about 15 minutes before serving this dish I smother the chicken with loads of BBQ sauce then put it back in the oven so the sauce can get all caramelized and delicious. It’s a great way to have BBQ flavour without actually using your BBQ. Yum.
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 – 3 tbsp chili powder
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 – 5 chicken breasts (with back attached (this # really depends on how many family members you are feeding))
- 3 – 5 carrots
- 3 cups baby potatoes
- 1 – 2 cups cauliflower
- olive oil
- seasoning salt (my favourite is Lawrys)
- fresh ground pepper
- your favourite BBQ sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Preparing the Chicken:
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the rub: salt, brown sugar, chili powder and fresh ground pepper.
- Place the chicken in a heavy oven proof skillet.
- Smother the chicken with the rub mix.
Preparing the Vegetables:
- Cut up your vegetables and toss them in a couple teaspoons of olive oil and 1/2 tsp of seasoning salt, then add them to the pan, around the chicken.
- Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, smother the chicken with your favourite BBQ sauce, then return the skillet to the oven and continue roasting the chicken for 15 minutes, or until it is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Category: Chicken
If you like this recipe, you may also like this One Hour, One Pot Roasted Chicken Dinner:
Well now that I have actually managed to write this post, I’ll get back to Lorelai, Luke and Rory…
Have a delicious day!